2. Do you remember the first time you ever got a key? What was it for? A house, or a car? Or maybe it was to something long before that, like a diary? Tell your child about some of your first keys and what they went to.
3. Share some different keys with your child. Let her touch and feel them. Talk to her about them; about the texture, the weight, the colors, etc.
4. Do you know how locks work? Even if you don’t have an in-depth knowledge of how they work, share what knowledge you do have with your child. Talk to him about different types of locks, like combination locks, bike locks, lockers, safes, car doors, house doors, etc.
5. Why do you use locks and keys? Talk to your child about protecting things that are important to you. Tell him what some of those things are and explain to him why they are so important to you.
Questions to ask your child:
1. What things are important to you?
2. Which of all my keys do you like the most?
3. What kind of keys do you want to have when you grow up?
key, lock, pick, house, door, car, diary, safe, secret, locked, precious, important, protect