Today’s Talk Time is all about those things we love to fill our spare time with; those things that we like to do because we are good at them or because it’s something we are drawn toward. Those little moments when we as human beings can sit and relax and just get lost in our own little activity. So, today, talk to your child about it ~
1. How would you define “a hobby” in your own words? An activity, a passing of the time, a life passion, or simply a creative outlet? What do you consider hobbies? What is the difference between a hobby and things that you do to engage your time that are more like necessities? The difference between cooking as a hobby and cooking because your family needs it, for example.
2. What are some hobbies you have? Do you like crafts? Sculpting or ceramics? Knitting or sewing or crocheting? Home improvement projects? Painting and/or drawing? Journal writing? Horse-back riding? Gardening? Reading? Collecting? Photography? Playing a musical instrument? Dancing? Writing music? Building? Writing or reciting poetry? Singing? Sports? Gymnastics? Ice-skating? Biking? Running/jogging or weightlifting? Cooking? Tell your child about one or two – or all if you would like.
3. Explain what you like about your favorite hobbies. Many people do them to relieve stress. For others, their hobbies become their careers – photographers for example. Some have hobbies that are more like a tradition passed from their parents to them. Talk about how you have picked up your hobbies and how they have progressed or changed over time. Maybe some have faded while others are more recent that have been picked up from a friend, a family member or another inspirational source (all you Pinterest lovers out there know what I am talking about ;D).
Questions for your child:
1. What hobbies do you have right now?
2. What hobbies do you think you will have as you get older?
3. What hobbies do Mom and Dad have?
4. What is your favorite hobby?
hobby, pastime, leisure, relaxation, stress, work, fun, build, sing, dance, draw, color, art, photography, collecting, collection, skill, knowledge, talent, amateur, professional, instrument, practice, time