(Please note that this agreement is for short story submissions only. If you want to submit a novel or chapter book, please do so here. Upon acceptance of your chapter book you will then be presented with a legal agreement).
This Freelance Author/Artist Agreement is entered between Knowonder, LLC, with offices at 198 N 600 E, Hyrum, UT. 84319 (knowonder!) and you, the author, concerning the terms for the use of a certain piece of work by Artist.
By submitting your story via our web submission form you acknowledge that you have read and agree to this agreement.
1. Grant of Rights: You grant to Knowonder, LLC the right of your story for publication in a printed and/or digital knowonder! publication, the right to use the work in a printed and/or digital format in our DyslexiAssist layout, as well as the right for use of your story on our website, knowonder.com. By publishing the story on our website, it may also be available for our readers through any of our mobile apps. You retain complete ownership of the copyright of your work. If we decide we want to use your work in additional formats to the above-mentioned, we will negotiate with you at that time for permanent ownership rights and a royalty-share pay structure.
2. Fees: The fee for the Work will be $25 (the “Fee”) for a story of 500-999 words or $50 for a story of more than 1,000 words. At acceptance of the manuscript, Knowonder, LLC is under no obligation to publish the Work. Payment will take place at the beginning of the month after which your story is published. For example, if your story is published in the month of August, your payment will be processed in the beginning of September.
3. Acknowledgment: Knowonder, LLC agrees to always acknowledge you as the creator of the Work.
4. Acceptance: Your Work must be delivered complete and in a format that is acceptable to Knowonder, LLC. You agree to comply with all time schedules and other requests of Knowonder, LLC, including providing up to two rewrites of the Work. Upon request, a list of all sources that you relied upon for the Work will be provided to Knowonder, LLC. Knowonder, LLC reserves the right to adapt or edit the Work as it deems appropriate. All Work is subject to final acceptance by Knowonder, LLC.
5. Representation: You represent and warrant to Knowonder, LLC that: (1) the Work is original and that you are the sole creator of the Work and have full power and authority to enter into this Agreement; (2) if the Work has previously been published, you represent that you still own the rights to the story and have the right to let Knowonder, LLC publish it; (3) the Work does not, and if published will not, infringe upon any copyright, trademark or other right of any third party; (4) the Work contains no matter that is defamatory; and (5) you will not publish the Work in violation of this Agreement. You agree to cooperate with Knowonder, LLC in its defense of any action related to the Work. In addition, you agree to indemnify and hold Knowonder, LLC harmless from any and all claims, losses and expenses that are a result of your breach of the foregoing representations.
6. Independent: You agree that you are an independent contractor and not an employee or agent of Knowonder, LLC and that you may not bind Knowonder, LLC to any agreement or liabilities and that you are solely responsible for paying any taxes, costs, or expenses related to your Work and your receipt of the Fee.
7. Assignment: You may not assign any of your rights under this Agreement. Knowonder, LLC may assign its rights in this Agreement with notice to you.
8. Miscellaneous: You agree that this is the entire Agreement between you and Knowonder, LLC related to the Work and that this Agreement supersedes all previous agreements and understandings related to the Work. This Agreement may not be amended, or modified nor may any term of this Agreement be waived except by a subsequent writing signed by you and Knowonder, LLC. Written approval sent from Artist to knowonder! via email or fax will also suffice. Any disputes related to this Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Utah and you consent to the jurisdiction of the courts of the State of Utah.